Friday, September 24, 2010

A Rotaractor’s Perspective

Guest post by Rotaractor Mary Kathryn DeLodder

While it is not unheard of for Rotary clubs to have members under the age of 30, many young people in their 20s may not quite be ready for membership in a Rotary club. This may be due to a lack of flexibility in their work schedule, financial limitations, or other family or life constraints. This is where Rotaract offers the perfect bridge into Rotary. Rotaract provides college students and young professionals with a way to connect to Rotary while conforming to their needs and circumstances.

While one of the stated goals of Rotaract is to motivate young people for eventual membership in Rotary, there are certainly many other reasons to sponsor a Rotaract club beyond just the potential to develop future Rotarians. Through Rotaract, Rotarians have the opportunity to help mentor the next generation of community and business leaders. In turn, Rotaractors often bring enthusiasm and energy to their sponsoring Rotary club. Rotaractors and Rotarians often work side-by-side on service projects, thus extending the impact made on the local community. Whether or not Rotaractors choose to become Rotarians will largely depend on the impressions made by members of the sponsoring Rotary club.

Having been involved in Rotaract for nearly a decade, I have had the pleasure of meeting many Rotarians who have helped to shape me as a leader. I have been fortunate to be included in various club and district functions where I was able to learn about the workings of Rotary beyond my own community. Sometimes, I just invited myself to events in order to learn more. Rotarians made sure I had information, and I was able to use that information to become a better leader within Rotaract. Without a doubt, I can say that I WILL be a Rotarian when the time is right for me. I cannot imagine Rotary not being a part of my life!

As a Rotary Coordinator, you can encourage Rotary clubs to be responsible sponsors of Rotaract clubs. Encourage Rotary clubs to maintain a strong, healthy, and active relationship with their Rotaract club. Interaction with the sponsoring Rotary club is the key to success for a Rotaract club. Strong connections with Rotaract clubs today will ensure vibrant Rotary clubs tomorrow.


I've had the good fortune to get acquainted with Mary Kathryn first through Facebook then at the Rotaract Pre-Convention in Montreal. She is a dynamite lady - wish we all had her energy and Rotary passion!

No comments:

Post a Comment